Monday, November 1, 2010

Busy Busy Busy = Fun Fun Fun

These past few weeks have been so busy!  All my classes had field trips and everyday was packed with activities.  First, my music class took a trip to Mozart's apartment.  He had many while living in Vienna but this is the only location that has been kept as a museum.  It is in the first district and was his most expensive apartment.  While there, I learned all about Mozart and the success he had in Vienna.  I now want to watch Amadeus.

In my teaching internship, we went to Dialogue in the Dark.  I mentioned this before during the Night of Museums.  It is a really cool experience.  What happens is a visually impaired person guides you through different environments in the dark.  And I mean DARK!  There is no light and your eyes never adjust.  Not even night vision goggles work inside this place.  I was taught how to use a white cane and the proper ways to move in order to protect myself.  When we first stepped into the exhibit, it was made to feel and sound like a forest.  The ground was crunchy and I could feel trees all along the path.  Now, I was kind of scared, which I know is completely unreasonable.  I just happen to have a very active imagination.  But all I could think about was the movie Descent which is about humans who evolved to live in the dark and use sonar echolocation and they eat people who wander into their cave.  Again, I know that is was silly, but I couldn't help it.  When we went into the "city", we had to cross a street.  I was not completely successful and ran into a car.  Then we went into a store and got to feel all these different items on the counter.  We ended the tour in a bar and all shared a drink.  I was nervous about putting my drink down because I'd never find it again once I did.  It was an amazing experience and I feel like I gained more patience and understanding from it.  In class, I taught the children the parts of the body and then I taught them the Hokey Pokey!  They had never heard of it, which is simply tragic!

In my psych class, we went to the Freud Museum.  Freud lived most of his life in Vienna and conducted most of his work here.  The museum is located in his old apartment where his practice was held and also where is family lived.  Now, I do recognize that Freud "invented" psycho analysis as we know it and that he contributed greatly to the field, but I honestly don't believe a lot of his theories.  Learning more about his life and how he shunned those who didn't believe in his theories makes him comparable to a child throwing a tantrum.  I find class interesting, but I like biology better. 

On Thursday, class took place in the armory of the Hofburg Palace.  We learned all about the history of knights by following the progression of weapons and armor and warfare.  I always enjoy class when it doesn't take place in a classroom.  Friday after class some friends and I went to an English movie theater to see Social Network.  It was really interesting.  After the movie, I made sweet and sour pork for the first time and it was quite tasty.  It was a quiet night staying in and watching movies since me and some friends had to be up in the morning for a Saturday field.  All of Saturday was spent explore palaces and cathedrals and castles.


Saturday was spent on a class field trip into Niederösterreich to Monastery Klosterneuburg, Klosterneuburg Palace and Castle Kreuzenstein. Klosterneuburg Palace is a country palace and monastery that was founded by Maria Theresa Father Karl (Charles) VI. Originally his favorite hunting lodge, he wanted to build a palace in the Spanish style. Unfortunately he didn't live long enough to see it finished (poor planning on his part I think). Maria Theresa did not like the palace (she preferred Schönbrunn) and so when her father died she stopped the construction. It is only one fourth of the size it was meant to be. The monastery is literally right next door to the palace. There's not enough room in between the buildings for an ant! The Church was founded by King Leopold III and his wife Agnes. The legend is that during the wedding of Leopold to Agnes, her wedding veil flew off with the wind. Leopold declared that wherever the veil landed, he would build a monastery. Leopold founded many churches during his reign. The bones of he and Agnes are in the crypt under the church. They only are taken out on their saint's day once a year. 

Castle Kreuzenstein

Castle Kreuzenstein



Castle Kreuzenstein is a castle from the 12th century.  It is still privately owned and is rented out for parties and to use a film location.  It is the castle where the Three Musketeers was shot.  It was so pretty with the tree in the courtyard changing colors.  To end the trip, we stopped at a local Heurigen (like a country pub/restaurant) to "discuss" our tour over a glass of this year's wine. It was a good day with the perfect balance of education and fun!

Dürnstein Castle Ruins
Sunday was also spent in the countryside around Vienna. I went on the IES sponsored trip to the Wachau region. This area is known for it's apricots and wine. We started the day at the Melk Monastery. This place is huge and gorgeous. Today, it is a working monastery as well as a private school. The Royals used to stop for the night at this monastery while traveling. Maria Antoinette stayed for one night on her way to France to be married. In honor of her arrival, the monastery commissioned an opera just for her...and her 500 attendants that where also housed at the monastery. After the monastery, we explored the town of Dürnstein. It was gorgeous! On the top of the mountain is the castle ruins that held Richard the Lionheart prisoner until his ransom was paid. Richard made the mistake of insulting an Austrian King during the crusades and then was ballsy enough to travel through his land to get home. He tried to disguise himself and his party as minstrels but for some reason the group of over 100 with fancy carriages and good quality clothing could not fool the king. So he kidnapped him and refused to give him back to England until a ransom was paid. To this day, it is still the largest sum ever paid for a ransom. The money was used to build the walls around Vienna, so at least we know it went to a good cause. It was quite a hike up to the castle, but the views in the end were totally worth it. You could see the entire valley with the Daneu snaking through. Vineyards and golden trees lined the countryside. Next we explored the town of Krems and visited the wine museum there. We then received a private tour of a local winery. We were even taken into the cellar where the wine was in the process of fermenting and did barrel tasting. It was a lot of fun. We ate a wonderful dinner there that our hosts prepared. This included endless bottles of their wine! As soon as a bottle was empty they'd replace it with another. Let's just say the bus ride home was very pleasant :)

Melk Monastary
  
Top of the Ruins


View from the top


No comments:

Post a Comment